Tuesday, July 21, 2009

There is No “I” in Team

Paul Rosenthal on July 21st, 2009

Today (Monday) was harder in several ways than yesterday. The ride was longer (about 77 miles on the odometer), steeper climb (about 5,000 feet of climbing, instead of yesterday’s 3,700), and it rained for most of the afternoon. But, don’t cry for me, Argentina, or any other foreign countries. I have a Cry America policy.

While a little rain did fall into my life, I did sign up for it. So, no complaints from me. So many good things happened today.

I saw the banana man briefly--before he had to split.

Then I got to hang out with the largest bull in Iowa. 1,050 pounds.

Don't get me started on the caption possibilities.

But the highlight of the day was the team pie-eating effort. After being shut out for most of the day, we alighted upon Prescott, Iowa, and a tent with an incredible array of home made pies. If I were by myself, like the day before, I would have been unable to maximize the opportunity. Today, my teammates were there to share the load.


We were the very model of teamwork. And, we kicked molasses.



10 pie varieties:

Pineapple

Raisin

Rhubarb

Peach

Pecan

Pear

Raisin/apple

Apricot

Cherry

Apple

There is no “I” in team, but there is an “I” in pie. And a team in Iowa. More on my team tomorrow.

P.S. Last night I got a last minute reprieve and got to sleep in a bed at the home of our wonderful hosts, after all. Tonight, I think my luck has run out. It’s ok. No complaints.